About Me

Hello everyone! My name is Jennifer, and I am a Master of Public Health student at Brown University going into my second and last year of the program. My concentration is in Global Health with a focus specifically on HIV linkage to care. I am currently participating in the HIV/AIDS & Healthcare program in Child Family Health International (CFHI) in Durban, South Africa for the month of August. My goal is to gain a deeper understanding of the HIV epidemic in South Africa, and how healthcare is managed in this resource-poor setting. I also really hope to learn a great deal about the Zulu culture and rich, complex history that contributes to all of what South Africa is today, in terms of health and other fields. I am so grateful for the Harris Wofford Award through CFHI, which enabled me to have this opportunity to gain hands-on experience in the delivery of medical care in South African hospitals and clinics. I hope to convey some of my experiences through this blog.

Monday 17 August 2015

Cricket and other fun stuff :)

Another great weekend in Durban :) Went to the beach with the group because it was Gabriel's birthday and he had a packed itinerary to check off. It was more like a birthday weekend! First, we drove a little out of the city to a suburb called Phoenix, which is actually where I am from in Arizona :) This is where Gandhi's Phoenix Settlement is, where he spent 20 very formative years of his life in South Africa. I did not know that he lived here for so long. It clearly influenced his world view and perspectives on civil disobedience. Very interesting stop!





Then after that we went to Ushaka Marine World to boogey board and kayak. It was a really nice, sunny day for it too :) I love the beaches here...

In the evening we went to the Roma Revolving Restaurant by the coast, which I guess is one of 31 revolving restaurants in the world, so now I have been to 2 :) Since we are such a big group it always takes a long time to get seated and get food, but well worth it for the company. We had a very nice time.


We also got to see a cricket match, which was so much fun!!! Way more so than rugby. Although I didn't understand anything at all going in, I really got into it toward the end. It is a very strange pseudo baseball kind of game, but much lazier because they don't have to actually run the bases. It's all about how well you can bat. But the pitchers are called "bowlers" because it honestly does look like bowling the way they run up before throwing the ball. Very interesting. And South Africa won this time! :D So of course we were that much more excited! I could definitely watch another cricket game though, for sure.





No comments:

Post a Comment